This is the most current revision of the Code of Ethics of the American Mi-Ki Club which was adopted by the AMC Board of Directors on March 21, 2017. It is a guideline for owners, breeders and potential breeders of Mi-Kis regarding the accepted criteria for the breed. Membership in the AMC requires the acceptance of and agreement to follow the guidelines of this Code.
The American Mi-Ki Club Code of Ethics was established to guide and inspire the AMC membership to protect, preserve and advance the Mi-Ki and the interests of the American Mi-Ki Club. Member adherence to the Code of Ethics signifies a commitment to a high standard of practice in owning, breeding and exhibiting Mi-Kis. This Code of Ethics suggests certain minimum practices necessary to support and comply with the objectives of the AMC Constitution and Bylaws. The Code of Ethics seeks to further these objectives by recognizing and drawing upon the expertise, experience, wisdom, and discernment of AMC members.
Code of Ethics
As members of the American Mi-Ki Club, we endeavor:
- To uphold the Constitution and Bylaws of the American Mi-Ki Club.
- To breed in accordance with the Official Breed Standard as approved by the American Mi-Ki Club.
- To educate ourselves and the public on the structure, health, nature and purpose of the Mi-Ki.
- To advise and assist newcomers to the breed, guiding them in how to care for and preserve the breed.
- To demonstrate a tolerant regard for others and a willingness to work together for the welfare and advancement of the breed.
- To support rescue efforts and be aware of the facilities and persons involved in the rescue of Mi-Kis.
- To provide a clean, healthy and socially/physically stimulating environment for our Mi-Kis, keeping only the number of dogs that allows for daily individual attention.
As breeders, we endeavor:
- To breed in accordance to the Official Breed Standard as approved by the AMC and strive to breed Mi-Kis of characteristic type, sound structure, health and temperament. Breeders should direct such efforts to produce Mi-Kis capable of success in the conformation and/or performance arenas as well as success in the role of family companion.
- To breed only purebred Mi-Kis, as evidenced by approved genetic testing.
- To breed, to the best of our knowledge and judgment, Mi-Kis that are free of transmittable diseases, harmful organisms, debilitating congenital abnormalities, and unsound behavior.
- To obtain AMC recommended health certifications of sire and dam that the breeder deems appropriate, such as OFA Patellar Luxation Evaluations, OFA Eye Evaluations, and OFA Cardiac Evaluations. To consider carefully the potential impact of all findings and conclusions on future breeding decisions.
- To breed bitches only when appropriate facilities, adequate time and suitable socialization of puppies can be provided and maintained until all puppies are properly placed.
- To breed stud dogs only top bitches whose owners we expect will abide by the Code of Ethics.
- To maintain complete and accurate records on every Mi-Ki owned and bred, to provide such information to AMC when requested. Records could be requested by AMC for inclusion, compilation and analysis of statistical data on which the future of the Mi-Ki breed may depend. Records may include, but not be limited to, sire and dam, registration numbers, litter size, birth dates, weights, coat color and type, health issues, including still births and cesareans. The importance of the accuracy of this information cannot be overstated.
- To keep accurate and complete breeding, registration, health and inoculation records.
SALE AND PLACEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES
In sale/placement transactions, we endeavor:
- To screen potential buyers for their suitability as Mi-Ki puppy/dog owners.
- To educate buyers on puppy and adult dog health care, grooming, exercise and training. To be a source of ongoing advice and assistance in all areas for the life of the dog.
- To enter a written narrative of understanding or a written contract with the new owners, outlining what is expected of each party involved in the sale/placement transaction.
- To provide a new buyer the following information at the time of sale upon completion of contractual obligations.
- Registration application form
- Spay/neuter/breeding/non-breeding expectations (written).
- An explanation of Limited Registration for puppies/dogs sold as family companions and inform the new owners if such a registration stipulation applies.
- Written medical records, which will include immunizations, types of vaccines used, dates(s) of inoculations, date(s) of worming if any.
- To accept lifetime responsibility for the welfare of all puppies bred/dogs sold by taking back or attempting to make suitable re-homing arrangements for the Mi-Kis placed by us with individuals who can no longer care for them. If any Mi-Ki needs re-homing and the breeder of that dog is known, to notify the breeder so that assistance can be provided.
- To not knowingly sell to unethical breeders or persons whose intention to resale is known or suspected.
- To refuse to sell a Mi-Ki of any age to a pet dealer/shop either outright or on consignment or to wholesales, re-sellers or any other commercial sources of distribution. To refuse to supply Mi-Ki for auctions, raffles, lotteries or other such activities.
As exhibitors and competitors, we endeavor:
- To remember that the safety and well-being of our Mi-Ki partner is our first responsibility.
- To conduct ourselves per the spirit of good sportsmanship and be considerate of all other exhibitors and their dogs, remembering that we, as well as our Mi-Ki, represent our breed and our Club.
- To abide by all show rules and regulations of the sponsoring organization.
- To share our knowledge and expertise with new exhibitors. They are the future of our sport.
In all questions of ethics not covered by this Code, I will act in the best interest of the breed always.
The AMC membership application represents a basis for evaluating an individual as both fancier and advocate of the Mi-Ki. Application for membership carries with it an acceptance of responsibility for preserving the breed as described by the Official Breed Standard, and embracing all AMC
objectives as described by the
American Mi-Ki Club’s Constitution and Bylaws.